This ‘Digital Marketing Checklist‘ helps enterprises that are eager to benefit most from the latest Digital media Marketing strategies & tactics.
Given that there are over one billion active people across the globe (as mentioned in the infographic as below) spending ever increasing time on Social Media, there is a huge opportunity for any business to fulfill various business objectives ranging from Market Research to Product Development to Customer Acquisition.
First things first
- Understand the power of digital space : digital media is
- a powerful optimizer
- a powerful amplifier of media and monitoring efforts
- a legitimate differentiator in the market place.
- Having clear business goals
- Accountability system in place: to understand the impact of digital campaigns on revenue and buzz in the market.
- Long term planning: you should plan marketing campaigns budget on yearly basis, except in case of PPC & Remarketing.
- Businesses should be open to try different methods:
- some work fast, some may never work, and the others may need some tweaking from time to time.
Campaigns for B2B (informative) and B2C (infotainment) should be treated differently, simply because
a consumer purchases on emotion, while a business purchases on logic.
- Attractive & responsive Website design
- Content – that’s designed to address all your marketing personas( ideal prospects & customers).
- Website optimization for conversions & monetizations
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO), and Local SEO if the business is location specific.
- This is essential, as 90% all click throughs come from first page of Google search results, also known as organic search.
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM) or PPC Campaigns : Google, Yahoo & Bing Ad words
- This is advertising on search engines, using keywords & phrases, that result in 25% of all click throughs ( as per Google data).
- Banner Ads: For effective monetization of all ad campaigns, effective landing pages must be designed. A few landing page examples.
- Email Marketing is another essential element of digital marketing strategy, with one of the best RoI.
- Blogging to be done regularly, to build and showcase expertise and to be recognized for thought leadership in your industry. 63% of readers are more likely to be influenced by blogs than magazines when deciding on a purchase.
- Social Media : requires you to think like a publisher – by publishing & promoting your updates across all social media channels wherever your clientele are likely to hang out eg., LinkedIn, Google Plus, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter etc.
The world’s greatest social media strategy: ( as suggested by digital evangelist Avinash Kaushik)
1. Entertain 2. Inform 3. Provide Utility
Ideally any platform will be effective if you share something unexpected and surprise your audience.
Effective leveraging of Social Meida
- helps in improving your customer support & relations.
- helps a lot in directing traffic to website and blog.
- Online Videos: can be used by companies to educate clients and prospects, about products & services
- Mobile Apps: Smart phone & tablets apps are revolutionizing the way companies interact with their customers online.
- Remarketing : Also called Retargetting, is behavioral targeting allows for following up with website visitors.
For B2B companies:
- Social Media Marketing : paid advertising on social media channels at least LinkedIn & Twitter, and other networks, based on type of business.
- Social media marketing enables brand awareness that gradually can lead to much deeper penetration in markets.
- Over 66% of B2B Marketers use social media heavily.
- 47 percent of social media users seeking care on Twitter and Facebook.
- 42% of customers expect a response within 60 minutes from brands after they’ve complained about something via social media.
- Twitter is a great tool for engaging the interest of people, for generating leads.
- Giving incentives to prospects who share your articles to social networking sites.
For B2C campaigns:
- Social Media: ideally Facebook page helps a lot in increasing brand awareness and in building community and for active fan engagement.
- Twitter helps in responding to customers and in conversations.
- Mobile Marketing : location based marketing (LBM), Video advertisement, and Gamification are some of the strategies to be considered.
- SMS is great for getting feedback from clients, as well as to inform them of your future offers, and including web links in your SMS can lead traffic to your mobile site.
Advantages of Digital Marketing
- Digital marketing helps specifically target your market eg., location, gender, profile, behaviors, as accurately as it can be.
- Less expensive than traditional marketing
- Flexibility to time and modify the campaigns on the fly.
- Measurability : the campaigns can be measured for their success, and can tweaked on the go.
- Virality is possible based on strategy and strength of the campaign.
- Digital Marketing, along with Digital Analytics, helps in understanding customers and increasing brand loyalty.
- web analytics tool, to keep track of and understanding your website visitors, and to help in improving web activities on an ongoing basis.
- Through social listening software, you can monitor what’s being said about your company in real time, and have real time meaningful interactions.
Before hitting the ground, it’s necessary to audit your marketing activities, to identify and validate apt marketing plan that can work for you.
You would benefit from reading :
- Key Google Analytics features Business Owners must know.
- Traditional vs Digital Marketing : What everyone must know
Please share and feel free to add your thoughts in the comments.