- Background : Chartered Accountant/ Sierra Atlantic / Hitachi Consulting India
Transition from corporate to Angel investing
Indian Angel Network
- Portfolio: 12+ Personal Investments
Mentor Capital / Financial Capital
Typical ticket size of investments by a group ( 30 investors)
success rate is less than 5% for investors
FFF : Family Friends Fools
10-20 lacs typical size by any individual investor
Startup eco system / 95% failure rate
autopsy.io : articles on failures
Advise on improving success chances for founders
view on Startup push by Modi Govt
Key Parameters investor looks in a startup: problem, size, solution, DNA of founders, whole economics of operations ( clients’ acquisition, financial mgmt)
- Three pillars : customer acquisition & retention , operations pillar, technology layer pillar
Right stage to go for funding
Don’t lose your stake
Recommended : you should not dilute more than 30%….to retain 70% with founders at series A funding
Must Focus on growth hacking, rather than looking for funding for everything
Founders’ ability to bootstrap their way through!!
- The importance of cofounder : recommended 2-3
Difficulty of being single founder of startup
What a startup should expect from an investor, apart from funding
Investor’s expectations vs startup founders’ long term aspirations
Early stage investors get chance to exit in 3-5 yrs, in successful startups
- His investments ( oldest is 2.5 months old)
Monitoring investments ( all key parameters/ quarterly progress )
Importance of mentorship, prevalent situation in India
- Advise: Israel( of 8 million population ) model of hierarchy: Devil’s advocate
Book recommedned : Startup Nation
- Mr Sanjay Jesrani can be reached on twitter @sanjay_jesrani or on https://www.facebook.com/gonorthventures/
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!
Hope you enjoyed the show.
To get more FGE content sent directly to your device as they become available, you can subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher!
Also, reviews on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated!
We read each and every one of them, and feel free to share your URL there so we can contact you later on and say thanks!
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
To hear the latest on Marketing & Podcasts